Title: “A leader we can count on”
Text: Psalm 2
1. Do you remember the opening illustration about Jeanette Rankin? Who was she, and what role did she play in the history of our country? Why might imitating her courage help us as we face the rest of 2020 and beyond?
2. Read Psalm 2:1-3. How are the rulers of the world described? Can you think of any such rulers from biblical or secular history? How did God go about putting them in their place?
3. How do even the great leaders from Scripture, like David and Moses, remind us not to put our hope in today’s politicians or even Christian leaders? Why is it still so tempting to do that?
4. Read Psalm 2:4-9. How Does God respond to the arrogance of the world’s leaders? In spite of their greatness and power, how do they stack up to the greatness of Jesus? See Colossians 1:16 and Hebrews 1:1-4?
5. The world has its own definitions of greatness. Do you remember the story Andy told about the pursuit of greatness as a football fan in 1982? How’d that work out for him? Share about a source of earthly greatness in which you’re tempted to put your hope but bound to be disappointed.
6. Read Psalm 2:10-12. Who is this warning for? Though we’re not world leaders, what are two ways we can respond to the glory of God?